Reflecting on Paraphrase practice

Learning Goals of paraphrasing activities:

1. Only use a direct quote when it adds power and style to my writing.
2. Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full
meaning of any quote I use.
3. Whether I quote or paraphrase, I must always be transparent about
the source and how I'm using it.
4. If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I
have to use quotation marks and provide attribution, in the text, so
that it’s perfectly clear which words are not my own.
5. If I use another author's presentation of facts or ideas, but put their
ideas in my own words, (paraphrase) I must give credit and provide
attribution, in the text, so that I show clearly exactly how I’m using
the words of another author.
6. The issue of plagiarism is not simply a matter of formal source
citation. In different disciplines, sources may be cited or credited in
different ways but the key point is to achieve total transparency in
my writing when I use the work of others.
7. I understand that an “oversight” on my part, when it comes to
crediting a quote, paraphrase, and source (hyperlink or citation, as
directed) is, in fact, plagiarism, regardless of my intentions. 


I rate myself a 5 on the Likert Scale of understanding how to use
sources appropriately. I am ready to be held accountable for my
skill and knowledge


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Party Guest List (Historical/Hidden Figures Version)

Confederacy Ideas Study

Paraphrase Practice